Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Realizations

So right now I'm trying to avoid starting my homework. Analyzing poetry in Spanish is so difficult for me! However, I find myself complaining a lot lately about my homework load and such. Then I realized that I only have five weeks left in Toledo! I should not be spending my time complaining about my homework load, no matter how heavy it may be or however difficult it is to complete my work. Though five weeks seems long-ish, my time in Spain is quickly coming to an end. I've already spent four months here and I've had some amazing adventures and experiences. But how am I going to feel once I go home? Will I be sad? Relieved? Anxious? I know I will be happy to see my friends and family and to be back in the United States, but I'm worried about the reverse culture shock. I truly have changed while being here and I'm afraid that those changes will not translate into English. I guess only time will tell.

Every day seems to go by more quickly than the last. Is it already 4 p.m. on Wednesday? Do I really only have one more class before the weekend? Is it really two weeks until I go to Portugal? And then only a month and one week until I fly home? Time goes by too quickly here. I will miss Spain, I will miss Toledo and I will miss speaking in Spanish most of the day. But the more I think about it the more I'm ready to come home. Five weeks seems like the perfect amount of time to spend in Spain before returning the States.

Before I begin analyzing poetry and purchasing plan tickets to Porto, Portugal, I recommend that everyone read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday. I don't know how I found time to begin, finish and enjoy a book while being here but it was really good and if I can find the time I'm going to begin his second novel, The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce. I'm off now, don't catch the swine flu, hasta luego!

No comments: